Monday, November 4, 2013

Books Change Lives

Today I stumbled upon this article on CNN about books that changed your life. I started to think if one particular book had changed my life. Growing up, I always enjoyed reading. It started with the Little House on the Prairie Series, and then I graduated to Nancy Drew Mysteries. Through middle and high school, I had to read A LOT for school. It seemed that there was little time for pleasure reading. This was especially true in Advanced Junior English. My teacher Ms. Pete made us read at least 10 outside reading books a six weeks (I swear I'm not exaggerating). Countless nights I stayed up into the wee hours of the night trying to finish a book for one of her "book talks." The "book talk" consisted of students and teacher sitting around discussing the book. There might have been 40 people in the room for a book talk, and she might never call on you, but I knew if I didn't read the book in its entirity, she would know, and she would call on me! So I always read no matter what. That year, I read more than I ever had and was truly challenged. So would I say that a book changed my life? No, probably not, but an amazing teacher did make me love literature!

Can you think of any books or teachers who have shaped your view of reading? Let me know by posting in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i mean that i like reading now but i never used to so ur kind of rigth reading does change it because evrer since i started reading (monday) i havent watched T.V all that much

      Delete